1. Why Public Holiday is called Statutory Holiday?
- New Year’s Day (January 1st)
- Good Friday (April 15th)
- Victoria Day (May 23rd)
- Canada Day (July 1st)
- Labor Day (September 5th)
- National Day for Truth & Reconciliation (September 30th)
- Thanksgiving Day (October 10th)
- Remembrance Day (November 11th)
- Christmas Day (December 25th)
- Boxing Day (December 26th)
2. Three Reasons to Mark Upcoming Public Holidays:
- To determine the employee holiday pay rate.
- To adjust their payroll system in under the latest design if payroll setup has changed.
- Should be aware of the dates that will be the employees’ holidays and vacations.
3. Five Basic Laws of Paid Statutory Holidays:
The rules and regulations of the 2022 paid statutory holiday schedule of payroll are:
1. Paid General Holiday:
If a worker has at least 30 days of employment in the year before the holiday, they are eligible for paid time off.
2. Working on Public Holiday:
3. Holiday on Non-Regular Day:
Employees are not compensated if a public holiday falls on a non-regular working day.
4. Absent Before & After Public Holiday:
5. Part-Time Employees:
The part-timers get paid in accordance with their work hours on statutory holidays.
4. Qualified Workers for Paid Statutory Holiday:
You are suitable for a paid public holiday if:
- If it’s a typical day, you go to work even on a public holiday.
- On a holiday, which is not an usual workday, you are at work.
5. Non-Qualified Workers for Paid Statutory Holiday:
An employer is not paid if:
- You do not work on a public holiday
- You skip work on your last day of work, first day of work, or a public holiday without telling your employer.
If you want to learn about the payroll process, you can look into one of our articles by clicking What is Payroll? A Guide for Setting Payroll in Canada.
Manage your Payroll and Bookkeeping System:
The Bottom Line:
On a holiday, we set up a proper payroll system or administer payroll. But, as laws and regulations evolve, it becomes increasingly difficult to account for all situations. So, if you receive help setting up the payroll process, it will become simpler for you. With bookkeeping service and corporate tax management, you can understand this process. Thus, Yoga & Associates is here to help you do this! We can help you with bookkeeping services and get your business off to that much-needed start. Also, our team will help you set up the payroll system according to the eligibility of your employees. So, contact us today so we can make sure to handle all your finances properly and professionally!